Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nude Hiking Areas near Las Cruces, New Mexico

Also passed two female rangers. They chatted with me for a few minutes. They reminded me that technically nudity is prohibited, but then told me that they, too hike it naked when not on duty.  From a posting in the Yahoo Naturist Hikers group by Jon on Jan 26th, 2009.  Images and links added by myself:

The question asked . . . "Where are there good [nude] hiking spots in southern New Mexico near Las Cruces?"

To the East, Just south of Alamogordo is a Great spot. If you go to Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, you can go many directions from there. you can cimb the mountains, explore the spring, or explore the valley below. I arrived there about Noon, and stayed nekkid the whole rest of the day. There were only 2 other sites occupied, and even the old-man ranger was cool with it. The next morning, I hiked the spring again, and even "showered" in it. Then I went to the WhiteSands National
Monument. Had to hike out a ways to get away from the crowded areas, but once in the dunes, no problem. Didn't see a soul for over an hour...just get about a mile from the road.

To the Northwest of Las Cruces, The Silver City area has many Wilderness hiking areas. Head North from SilverCity on Hwy 15 into the Gila National Forest. There are Hundreds of trails...very few people, and nobody blinks an eye at the sight of a naked hiker. If you follow the road all the way to the Cliff Dwellings, There is a place called
Light Feather Hotsprings. (ask at the visitor center for directions). 

The springs are about 140 degrees, so ya need to divert thestream to cool it down. I hiked the trail naked, passed 6 other hikers in about 4 hours. Also passed two female rangers. They chatted with me for a few minutes. They reminded me that technically nudity is prohibited, but then told me that they, too hike it naked when not on duty. I was the only one at the springs, so very peaceful!



If you head Northwest on Hwy180 from Silver city to Glenwood, then turn on Hwy 174. This will take you to the "Catwalk"...An incredible gorge thru on old silver mine. The hike is only about a mile to the top, and fairly busy on the trail, so I stayed dressed... but there is a swimming hole at the base of a waterfall...and nekkid people abound in that area. I hiked the whole thing up, then came back to the hole, and got nekkid, swam, and stayed nekkid for about two hours. many people came and went. some got nekkid, some didn't. Nobody cared. The hole is visible from the trail above (about 50' up the stairs), and most who passed by, did stop, smile, wave, and take pictures. But again, nobody has any concerns.

Related Posts with Thumbnails