|One of many small beaches (marked by clumps of trees) overlooking |
the scenic views of the Columbia River Gorge
Traditional clothing optional desert-terrain lakeside nude beach areas on the shores of the Columbia River in Central Washington State. Located just off the I-90 freeway NW of Vantage, Washington near the famous 'The Gorge Amphitheater.' The nude beach areas are located several hundred yards down the lake beyond the parking lot. Though technically not 'legal' it is a long traditional and accepted nude use area. Follow the popular trail along the lake starting next to the boat launch area. There is a mix of clothed and nude users. Weekends see numerous boaters and hikers. Weekdays are quieter. There are sand dunes, hiking and swimming options. Watch for Rattlesnakes. The DNR property along the lake is leased to a private group who allow nude use as long as everyone behaves and cleans up after themselves. Sheriff Deputies and PUD employees tolerate nude use and don't bother anyone...unless they are given a reason to interfere...so don't give 'em any reasons.
- Take I-90 over the Columbia River and up the bluffs to Exit 143, Silica Road and left over freeway.
- Take the next left onto Vantage Road/Frontage Road. Follow this nicely-paved road four miles down the bluffs to the parking area/boat launch at the bottom.
- A Fish and Wildlife Permit or a Discover Pass is required to park and use the area. A list of retailers nearby where you can buy a pass is here.
- Park, go thru gate and follow a dry gulch on down. Nudity is generally tolerated once out of sight of the parking area. The beaches are a series of small beaches (each marked by a clump of trees). The first beach is easily noted by a barren telephone pole with a birds nest atop.
- For easier walking, bear left thru the gate to a gravel road and follow that down until you see a beach to visit.