Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fun with GIMP . . . photos to sketches

Got way too much time on my hands, lol

There is a feature in some high-end editing programs (including the free G.I.M.P photo-editing program) that allow you to take an image and produce a respectful pencil-like sketch of that image.  Here are a few I made when I should have been outside weeding the garden . . .

First attempt . . . trees give too much clutter


Second attempt, the blank sky helps reduce clutter


   
Sky and terrain came out nicely in this third attempt

Like any visual element, there should be a message and context there.  To me, looking at these 'sketches' brings back home the experience of being out there in nature . . . and more importantly, being part of the environment I am within.

There is also an oil painting rendition technique for use with G.I.M.P., but that is more involved.  I may try it when I have a lot of free-time on my hands (or autumn comes and weeding is a moot activity).  :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails