Monday, December 11, 2006

What's New at Nudehiker

Finally managed to find an easy way to include a 'photostream' in the blog after dealing with and becoming frustrated with Flickr . Flickr is a great service, even at the basic free service; enabling easy upload and manipulation of your photos. They also offer a feed called the Flickr Badge, that you can include on your website to stream photos from your account. However, only public, visible to everyone, photos are allowed to be streamed to a badge and that was a problem if your pictures show any kind of nudity at all. According to their terms of service, those pictures have to be kept private . . . and that defeats the entire purpose of sharing.



I checked out several other sites for photo uploading and sharing and the approach is much the same. Seems the photos you upload become available to everyone. Not that I much care if anyone sees me naked . . . I am a naturist, afterall. However, Flickr considers any nudity inappropriate and insists on tagging those images 'private' and unavailable in photostreams. All I want to be able to do is allow the readers of my site an opportunity to share my hikes and my enjoyment of the naturist lifestyle.



Last week I stumbled across SlideRoll and immediately signed up. Their description: "Slideroll™ is a photo slideshow maker that you can use to create slide shows with your photos. Publish your slideshows on the internet, put them on MySpace or YouTube, and e-mail them to friends." You upload your pictures then use the interface to make a video slideshow, complete with transitions. Best of all, you can mark your slideshows as private and yet still embed a private slideshow in your website (or share them as a link in email, if you desire).



There is a paid and free version . . . the free version limiting you to 100 uploaded images and 10 published slideshows. More than adequate for my needs. You can even add music to your slideshow (though I think that's overkill). Since you can mark your slideshows as private, the do not show up in searches nor in directory listings at SlideRoll . . . you need the published link. That's what I did and you can see the results in the sidebar of the blog. Some of the tools I'm experimenting with are Picklish, a Photo Gallery with Video editing tool that creates standalone Flash Movies, and well as the development environment called MDM Zinc. The idea is to create my own photo and video streams that I have complete control over as opposed to the photo hosting websites like Flickr, MySpace or YouTube



I've also begun the process of uploading many of my personal naturist images to Gallery Image on a website that is hosted for me . . . and for which I have absolute control. Literally a couple of thousand images of my hiking adventures, I need to categorize them. Eventually I will post a link to them and offer RSS Feeds.





New, also, are the translate links at the top of the sidebar. I don't know how accurate the translations are but I've noticed quite a few foreign visitors in the site statistics.



Finally, Amazon Recommendations. I gave up of Google Adsense because of the inappropriate ads they served up. Amazon allows me much more control over the offerings that may interest my readers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails